Thai Tea, Cha-Yen (Cold Tea) or Thai iced tea is a drink made from strongly-brewed tea in Thailand.
It has become well known in the west from people who have travelled in Thailand and enjoyed its refreshing taste.
Thai tea is made, chilled and then poured over ice to bring a welcome break from the high temperatures that are common there.
Other ingredients are added to the tea to make its unique flavour, these may include:
- Orange Blossom Water
- Star Anise
- Crushed Tamarind seed
It is sweetened with sugar, and as a final touch coconut milk or evaporated milk is added to finish.
If served in a tall glass, it brings an added elegance to any dining table.
Thai tea can of course be purchased in powder form, but, as with most foods and beverages, it tastes 100% better when made from natural ingredients.
We recommend our Red Tea – Pai to provide a tasty cup of refreshing Thai tea.
- 30gm Red Tea Pai
- 1 piece star anise
- 2 pods cardamom
- 1/2 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 1/8 vanilla bean (optional)
- ground tamarind, to taste (optional)
- 20gm Sugar (to taste)
- Condensed milk or coconut milk to taste
- Make as much tea as required using our ‘Pai’ tea, adding Star Anise, Cardamom, Cinnamon and vanilla. Make it stronger than usual until it is dark but does not lose its red colouring, (approx 5 minutes).
- Strain the liquid while still hot, and stir in the sugar.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Pour into glasses previously filled with ice.
- Add coconut or condensed milk to taste.
Sit back, relax and enjoy Thai tea at its best!